Buildings at Risk
The Casino, Marino, Dublin
The Casino at Marino, Dublin, was designed by the distinguished 18th century architect Sir William Chambers in 1757 and is considered ‘one of the most exquisite miniature 18th century buildings in Europe’. It was built for James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont, in the form of a Roman temple to serve as a small pleasure house and lies within the historic parklands of the Marino demesne, once one of the finest designed parklands in Ireland.
Though much of this landscape has now been built upon, significant stretches of the historic parklands still survive. As these undeveloped areas could be upgraded and restored to create a suitable setting of the Casino, the Irish Georgian Society has been lobbying for the formulation of a comprehensive Conservation Plan that addresses all the former parklands of the historic Marino demesne.
The Casino was designated as a National Monument in the 1930s and was the first post-1700 building to be designated as such. It is listed as a Protected Structure in the Dublin City Development Plan 2005 – 2011.
Make a Donation