Cavan National School was built circa 1820 as a school by royal appointment and was the first building to be built specifically for this purpose in Cavan. Francis Johnston and John McMahon were the architect and builder, respectively. In 2005 the school owners applied to the Irish Georgian Society for funding to help restore the former residential part of the school and were awarded a grant of €3,500.
Brief description of project:
The funds assisted in the restoration of the original front door and the arch window to the rear of the building which was an inappropriate uPVC insert.
This historic building now continues to serve Co. Cavan in its original function as a fine educational establishment.
The main body of the school originally served a residential purpose and is three bays by two storeys with a central stairway. The exterior walls are rough rendered limestone, with five bays and a central doorway with fanlight and console brackets. There is a one-storey extension on either side of the main building, extending five bays into the rear of the property. The narrow ends of these wings contain tripartite, arched sash windows with stone sills and on each long side contain central doorways.