Historical background and project:
The Dromoland Gazebo was built on a hill within the grounds of Dromoland Castle circa 1740 by Sir Edward O’Brien, 2nd Bt. Its purpose was most likely a vantage point from which to observe the training of horses which makes the structure a “belvedere.” Having fallen into disrepair, the Dromoland Turret Preservation Trust was created and in 1998 the Irish Georgian Society donated funds toward the gazebo restoration including stone repairs, new roofing material, and the insertion of steel support bands. However, the bastion-shaped earthworks around the gazebo had deteriorated and required attention if the gazebo was to be restored to its complete and original context. In 2002 the Irish Georgian Society granted funding in the amount of €6,985 toward the restoration of the earthworks. This covered one-hundred percent of the costs for this project and nearly thirteen percent of the entire gazebo restoration works.
The environment of old buildings can be as integral to their historic integrity as the structures themselves. By restoring the earthworks on which the Dromoland Turret stands visitors are better able to understand its original function.
The Dromoland Gazebo is a single-bay, octagonal structure of double height over a part-raised, yellow brick and groin vaulted basement. At its apex is a finial. The walls are of a rubble core covered in roughcast rendered walls with cut-stone string courses and red brick surrounds at window and arched door openings. The roof is composed of cut limestone and possesses a moulded blocked course and cornice. Inside is beautiful cross ribbed vaulting. Four triangular-shaped mounds on the exterior form a star-shaped platform for the gazebo.