There has been a house on the site of Hilton Park since the early seventeenth century, at which time it was called “Killshanless.” That house was altered in 1734 when it was bought by Samuel Madden, in whose family the house remains today, and it was dubbed “Maddenton” before being given its present name in the late eighteenth century. Unfortunately, an accidental fire was started by a servant in 1804 which completely gutted the top two floors and destroyed important works of art. After the blaze the home was re-built by architect James Jones. In 1872, while the interior was amended to the design of local architect William Hague, the house was also re-faced with Dungannon stone and the basement was excavated to create a new ground floor. The Madden family now manage their home as part of the Hidden Ireland group and also hold the annual Flat Lake Festival in the demesne. In 2003 the Irish Georgian Society contributed €4,800 toward the house’s conservation.
Brief description of project
The Society’s grant funded a survey and condition report for the main roof where damage had been detected, as well as restoration of the beautiful stained glass windows in the staircase hall. This ensured that best conservation practices were used in the works to the house.
Hilton Park is a late-Georgian house whose front facade is eleven bays wide and two storeys tall over a basement, with a five bay central breakfront. An Ionic, balustrade porte-cochere was added to the front facade in 1872 and at the same time the main reception rooms were enhanced with ornate plaster ceilings. The ashlar exterior is rife with rusticated stones.