Built around 1820 for Richard St. George, Kilrush House is a rare example of an Irish Regency villa that retains much of its original decoration and contents. In 2003 the St. George family commenced a works programme to restore the house which had suffered some damage and decay. The Society awarded a grant of €4,000 towards these works.
Brief description of project:
The roof was in particularly poor condition. Many of the slates had slipped due to rusty nails and the eaves, trusses, and plasterwork were rotted from subsequent water penetration. In addition to this, the lead rainwater goods had deteriorated. The Society’s grant assisted the following works: erection of scaffolding; stripping slipped slates; repairing rotten timbers with like material; treating areas inflicted with woodworm with cuprinol; applying a Tyvek membrane and re-battening with pre-treated softwood battens; and re-slating using salvaged slates where possible.
The house is a three-bay, two-storey house over a part-raised basement. The west and rear elevations possess five bays while a two-storey, three-bay over basement wing is on the east of the house. The hipped slate roof is on a quadrangle plan (pitched to wing) and also has clay ridge tiles, cut-limestone copings, and cast-iron rainwater goods as well as eaves with rendered bands. The exterior walls are of rubble limestone and rendered, with a chamfered stringcourse separating the basement from the ground floor. Square-headed window openings within elliptical-headed recesses are to the ground floor with six-over-six timber sash windows, while the basement and first floors possess timber sash windows of three-over-six configuration. The main entrance is set within a round-headed door opening. Engaged Doric columns flank a timber panelled door with outer pilasters supporting a frieze carved with swags and a carved cornice.