Set within a mature park landscape with entrance gates and a gate lodge to the north, Laurentinum House was constructed circa 1745. Originally a three-storey structure, the top floor was removed around 1850 and the porch was also added around this time. For many years prior to the dawn of the twenty-first century the house lay unoccupied and fell into disrepair. Marred by a leaking roof, damaged ceilings and floors among other problems, the current owners sought to completely restore the property and applied to the Irish Georgian Society in 2003 for a grant to assist in these conservation works. Between 2003-2007 the Irish Georgian Society awarded over €10,150 toward the works at Laurentinum House.
Brief description of project:
Over €9,000 was given in 2003-2004 for the restoration of the timber sash windows. This included installing new sash cords, staff beads, and parting beads and other pane and timber repairs, as well as authentic replacements when absolutely necessary. In 2005 a further €1,150 was granted for the recreation of the front door which was badly damaged by water ingress and rot. In conjunction with other bodies which financially contributed to the roof restoration and reinstatement of the interior platerwork, the Irish Georgian Society grants significantly helped in the restoration of this mid-eighteenth century home.
Laurentinum house is an L-plan house of six bays and two storeys over a half-basement. It has a hipped slate roof with rendered and block lined walls at the front and side elevations. To the front at basement level, the walls are channelled ashlar with a cut limestone string course between it and the ground floor. The entrance is market by a flat-roof porch with flanking pilasters, a moulded cornice, a stepped parapet, and a square-headed door opening with sidelights. The inner, timber door is double-leaf and is bordered by fluted Ionic pilasters. Timber sash windows of nine-over-six configuration are to ground floor with six-over-six sash windows to all other floors. A round-headed twelve-over-eight window with a fanlight at half-landing is to the rear elevation. A rendered, rubble stone, three-bay, one-storey lodge is situation to the rear of the house.