Historical background and project:
Originally built in 1810, No. 8 North Mall building has now been subdivided into flats. A major early-nineteenth century campaign included replacing some interior plasterwork and joinery to the ground floor as well as the addition of a rear extension. The rendered quoins and architraves were added around 1860, along with the cast-iron balcony, plate glass window sashes and geometric tiles.
By 2000 the building had fallen into disrepair and was suffering from rot, broken gutters and downpipes, and rising damp among other issues. Funding for repair works to the stair thread gessowork was supplied by the Irish Georgian Society who awarded a grant of €3,800 toward the project.
The house is a double-pile, terraced building of three storeys across four bays with a segmental carriage arch. A two storey mews is to the rear. The house has a pitched slate roof concealed behind a parapet and also possesses a moulded cornice in addition to rendered walls with quoins and architraves. Timber sash windows are surrounded with segmental-arched openings. The entry possesses round-headed openings and is flanked by engaged columns with a fanlight above. At first floor level is a cast-iron balcony and the interior contains good original joinery and mid-nineteenth century geometric tiles.