The Thatch was built circa 1800 and in recent times was converted from residential use to that of a pub. It is an excellent example of the evolution of vernacular structures, having retained much of its original layout. Most notable is its two-storey form which is quite rare for a thatched building. In 2004 the owner applied for a grant to complete various repairs to the house, most notably to restore the thatch roof which suffered water ingress and decay. At that time the Irish Georgian Society granted €1,000 for these purposes.
Brief description of project
Decayed thatch was removed from the roof and analysed by a thatch expert, while any sound base-course thatch was retained and incorporated into the new works. The roof was finished in Wheaten straw and is now watertight and secure.
Thatched houses are distinctive vernacular structures whose importance to our understanding of Ireland’s architectural history cannot be overstated. It is conscientious grants which make possible the retention of these significant structures.
The structure is a two-storey thatched house whose walls are battered coursed rubble limestone and sandstone. It possesses replacement timber sliding sash windows to the first floor and fixed timber windows and one four-over-four pane sliding sash window to the ground floor. The windbreak entrance possesses a glazed timber door, accessed by cut limestone steps. Lean-to extensions also exist on the north and rear walls, and a hipped thatched roof and rendered chimneystack complete the structure.