Benefactors’ and Patrons’ Lunch at No. 12 Henrietta St
Posted by IGS
On Saturday 10th September we were delighted to host a lunch for the Society's Benefactor and Patron members at No. 12 Henrietta Street, the home of Ian Lumley. Before the lunch guests were led on a private tour of the King's Inns Library and Dining Hall, led by Dr. Edward McParland, an expert on the work of James Gandon (1743–1823) and co-author of James Gandon: vitruvius hibernicus (1985). Dr. McParland described the architecture of these buildings in the wider context of the development of Henrietta Street, Dublin's earliest Georgian street, which was extensively developed by Luke Gardiner during the 1720s. The changing fortunes and character of Henrietta Street was particularly noted with the ongoing conservation work currently being undertaken by Dublin City Council at No. 14 Henrietta Street, to establish it as a tenement museum, showing its development from a mansion for Dublin's wealthiest citizens in the Georgian period to a tenement housing more than 100 of Dublin’s poorest citizens.
Eddie McParland leading a tour of the King's Inns - taking in the Library and Dining Hall, designed by James Gandon
Eddie McParland detailing the architectural design of Gandon's Dining Hall at King's Inns to the group
King's Inns Dining Hall, designed by James Gandon c.1800
No. 12 Henrietta St - the eclectic setting for our Benefactors' and Patrons' Lunch
Mary Bryan (IGS Board member), Roisin Lambe (Membership and Events Administrator), Sindy Broe and Kay Mitchell