Irish Georgian Society Conservation Grants 2017
Posted by IGS
Members of Irish Georgian Society London with Ashleigh Murray (left), Committee Chair and Primrose Wilson (right), Chair of the Conservation Grants Committee
Members of Irish Georgian Society London with grant awardees at the grants announcement in Tea Lane Graveyard, Celbridge, Co. Kildare
The recipients of the Irish Georgian Society's Conservation Grants Scheme 2017 was announced on Friday at a small ceremony at Tea Lane Graveyard, Celbridge, Co. Kildare. In all, nine building conservation projects around the country were awarded €50,000 in total of grants. This is the fourth successive year of the Society’s Small Grants Scheme with total funding provided so far amounting to in excess of €200,000.
The conservation projects to receive grants this year include churches and a mausoleum in Counties Kildare and Mayo, and historic houses in Counties Cork, Laois and Mayo. These grants will support essential roof and wall works as well as the conservation of architectural features in need of urgent repair.
The Irish Georgian Society’s grants programme has been supported through the work of its London Chapter whose members organise events throughout the year in aid of Ireland’s built heritage. These grants help owners and guardians of architecturally important historic buildings to fund essential works which may not otherwise be possible.
Maunsell Chapel (c.1820), Tea Lane cemetery, Celbridge, Co. Kildare
The Maunsell Chapel was constructed in 1820 by the Maunsell family of nearby Oakley Park and adjoins an earlier mausoleum of the Conolly family of Castletown. It lies within the Tea Lane Graveyard whose origins extend back to Early Christian times with associations with Saint Mochua and is situated alongside the remains of a medieval church. The restoration of the mausoleum is being led by the Tea Lane Graveyard Committee whose aim is the conservation and preservation of this significant heritage area.
Grant awarded: €6,500
Stradbally Hall (late 18C), Co. Laois
Water ingress and the onset of damp can have a disastrous impact on historic buildings. This is understood at Stradbally Hall, Co. Laois, a late-18th-century country house that was substantially renovated in c.1868 in the Italianate style by the English architect Charles Lanyon (1813-1889). Last year we assisted with the repair of striking decorative chimneystacks. The works this year involve the continuation of their roof repair programme with the repair of the lead valley gutters on the roof and portico, which are allowing water to penetrate the structure, damaging internal decorative plasterwork.
Grant awarded: €6,000
Old Parochial House (late 19C), Monkstown, Co. Cork
We are also supporting external repairs at the Old Parochial House in Monkstown, Co. Cork. This building was designed by Edward Welby Pugin (1834-1875), eldest son of the illustrious English architect Augustus Pugin (1812-1852), with the aid Irish architect George Coppinger Ashlin (1837-1921). Moisture has always been an issue due to the location of this red-brick building by the sea. The owners have previously hosted a Brickwork Conservation and Repair CPD course and have undertaken low-level repointing of the brickwork. Grant aid is sought to complete the repointing works to protect the building from further water ingress.
Grant awarded: €4,000
O’Brien Column (c. 1858), Liscannor, Co. Clare
The O’Brien column in Liscannor, Co. Clare, also suffers from water issues. Designed by J Petty Esq, the column was erected in c. 1858 by public subscription in memory of Cornelius O’Brien, a local MP and improving landlord. O’Brien was also responsible for opening up the Cliffs of Moher to tourists by creating paved walks and erecting the c. 1835 O’Brien Tower. The c. 80ft fluted Doric column is an important landmark feature, situated on an impressive site overlooking Liscannor Bay and O’Brien’s former home. The Follies Trust and the Friends of the O’Brien column will carry out careful conservation of the structure, including stabilising its crowning decorative urn which is in danger of collapse.
Grant awarded: €6,000
St Johns Church (c.1810-1820), Ballycastle, Co. Mayo
External repair works are required at St Johns Church, Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. This c.1810-1820 church was built under the Board of First Fruits and is attributed to the Irish architect John Bowden (d.1822). The recent discovery of ‘mud mortar’, forming part of the original construction of the church’s tower, has added a level urgency to the works.
Grant awarded: €2,500
The Church of Saint John the Evangelist (c. 1815), Monasterevin, Co Kildare
The Church of Saint John the Evangelist, Monasterevin, Co Kildare, was built in c.1815 with a plan possibly inspired by the Board of First Fruits churches. Its fine iron entrance gate is thought to have been relocated from the Moore Abbey demise by the Marquess of Drogheda. Aid is sought for the restoration of this ornate entrance; not only will this improve the appearance the building, it will also enhance the streetscape due to the prominent location of the church on the town’s main street.
Grant awarded: €3,000
Town Hall (c.1863), Mountmellick, Co. Laois
Townscape improvements are also proposed in Mountmellick, Co. Laois, where extensive repair works are proposed to the street-facing elevation of the Town Hall. This gable-fronted building was designed in 1863 by the architect William Caldbeck (1824-1872) and is located in the town centre.
Grant awarded: €5,000
Ballinrobe House (c. 1740), Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo
Our funding this year also supports the restoration of the original entrance door of Ballinrobe House, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo. Originally built for Captain Courtney Kenny (1702-1779), this c. 1740 seven-bay house retains plasterwork reported to be by the famous Lafranchini brothers. The house has remained derelict for some years and there is evidence of fire. The current owners are now working through a careful programme of repair to restore this beautiful residential building.
Grant awarded: €7,000
St Micheal & All Angels (late 19C), Sallins, Co. Kildare
A number of churches require assistance this year due to a range of issues. St Micheal & All Angels, Sallins, Co. Kildare, is a late-19th-century church by the architect James Franklin Fuller (1835-1924). An unfortunate fire in 1947 destroyed internal timber features and also caused smoke damage. The works involve the removal of smoke staining to the decorative Cloisonné (enamelled copper) wall panels by Clement John Heaton (1861-1940), to reveal their beautiful colours and detailing.
Grant awarded: €5,000