Irish Georgian Society

Show / Hide Menu

Updates

The vision of the Irish Georgian Society is to conserve, protect and foster a keen interest and a respect for Ireland’s architectural heritage and decorative arts. These aims are achieved through its scholarly and conservation education programmes, through its support of conservation projects and planning issues, and vitally, through its members and their activities.

Galway’s Heritage Buildings Show 2016

13.05.2016

Posted by IGS

Last weekend (7-8th May), the Irish Georgian Society held its annual Traditional Building Skills Exhibition & Conservation Seminar in the grounds of Portumna Castle.

Portumna Castle was a one-stop destination for owners in need of accurate, impartial and free advice on caring and repairing their protected structures and heritage buildings. Over 1,000 people attended the exhibition and our seminars, which included a talk aimed at Leaving Certificate students on how to answer the Georgian Architecture question on their art history paper, delivered by Myles McKenna, architectural historian, OPW Guide and 2015 Desmond Guinness Scholarship recipient.

Galway's Heritage Buildings Show 2016 was held in partnership with Galway County Council and the Office of Public Works.

Many thanks to our hardy speakers and exhibitors who braved the wind, rain and the cold and to Merrion Properties and Heather and John Picerne for their support of the IGS Conservation Education Programme.


Ronan Finn, Thatcher


Stephen Quinn, Blacksmith 


Stephen Quinn, Blacksmith hot iron rod


Michael Fernhead, drystone waller of Drywall Association of Ireland


James Grace of Architectural Wood Design
 


Cathaoirleach Cllr Peter Roche with Brian Murray cabinet maker in the Made in Galway tent


Cathaoirleach Cllr. Peter Roche launching the exhibition


Michele O' Dea, OPW Senior Conservation Architect 

View more photographs from the day on our facebook page.

Many thanks to Pat Browne of Munster Business for the photographs. 

Read more

Conservation project update: Thomas Jervais window removed for conservation work

05.05.2016

Posted by IGS

Conservation works supported by the IGS have started on an important painted glass window by the Irish artist Thomas Jervais (d. 1799) at Agher Church, Rathmoylan, Co. Meath. Classified as being at risk for over two decades, the window depicts Paul preaching at Athens from the cartoons of Raphael and is one of only two surviving examples of monumental works by Jervais; the other being the great west window of the ante-chapel in New College, Oxford.

The project is being funded through supporters and Chapters of the IGS in London, Chicago and Ireland, through grants from the Heritage Council and from the Department of Arts Heritage & the Gaeltacht’s Built Heritage Investment Scheme 2016, and through the Select Vestry of Rathmoylan Union of Parishes.

Read more

Ireland’s Main Street, 1625-1925: Call for volunteers

11.04.2016

Posted by IGS


Call for Volunteers
Volunteering with the Irish Georgian Society presents a wonderful opportunity to get further involved with the IGS and our work. Our volunteers are invaluable and your support is greatly appreciated!

If you are free to volunteer a couple of hours of your time once a week to invigilate the exhibition for its duration, please fill out your availability here or call the office to register your interest (01 679 8675).

Exhibition opening hours
Friday, 18th March to Sunday, 15th May 2016
Open: Monday – Saturday 10.00am - 6.00pm / Sunday 12.00 - 5.00pm

Image: Upper Sackville Street, detail of celing from front drawing room 

Read more

Ireland’s Main Street, 1625-1925: An Architectural History - The Origins of the City (III)

11.04.2016

Posted by IGS

This is the third blog in a series of blog posts, to complement our current exhibition Ireland’s Main Street, 1625-1925: An Architectural History. They will add further context to the exhibition, and the architectural evolution of Dublin's main street.


(Click map to enlarge)

During the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries the Abbey was the dominant landmark on the north side of the River Liffey. This enclave represents the first step towards the urbanization of the area.Throughout, the Abbey remained separate from the city, as was the norm.

Its land stretched to over 5000 acres, amounting to most of the land in the area and stretching to Malahide. A discernible road developed, from the river, running past the Abbey to Drumcondra and onwards to the north, along the existing Gaelic route way. Some of the more desirable lands, along this route, were granted by the Abbey, to the emerging ruling class.

In 1534 Silken Thomas Fitzgerald started his rebellion here - laying down his sword of state. The rebellion was ultimately quashed. Major political and religious reforms occurred in the 1530s and 1540s. Everything changed again with the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537. The stamp of the monastic economy (Cistercians were an agrarian order and self-sufficient) remained visible in the practices of the local inhabitants. Indeed such practices can be seen in the present day horticultural businesses of north county Dublin.

Lands, originally part of St Marys Abbey, were re-granted on the dissolution of the monasteries. but there was no urban development of any significance until the latter half of the 17th century, when with the Restoration of the British Monarchy and return of Duke of Ormond in 1666, Dublin’s modern development began.

Joseph Lynch, exhibition curator

Read more

Cocktail Party at Tom Quick’s Palm Beach House, March 2016

01.04.2016

Posted by IGS

Tom Quick opened his elegant Palm Beach home for a cocktail party to welcome Sir David Davies, the new President of the Irish Georgian Society, who had just arrived in the United States from London for the week. The party was attended by the American Board of Director’s of the Irish Georgian Society and over 100 friends of the Society in Palm Beach.


Beth Dater, President of the American Board and Sir David Davies, President of The Irish Georgian Society


Kay Krehbiel and Steve Zick


Shelia O’Malley Fuchs, Michael Kerrigan, Executive Director, and Susan Burke

Sir David Davies, Beth Dater and Tom Quick

Donald and Muffie Miller and Coleman Burke

Katherine Bryan, Fred Krehbiel and guest 

You can view more pictures from the evening on our facebook page.
 

Read more

Antiques Fair at Castletown House: 9th & 10th April 2016

31.03.2016

Posted by IGS

The Irish Antique Dealers Association (IADA) represent the leading antique dealers and antique shops in Ireland. The Antiques Fair will take place in the beautifully restored 18th century Stable Wing and Courtyard of Castletown House, and will include the finest art, furniture, silver, jewellery, clocks, glassware, objets d'art, collectables, notes, coins and more!~

Saturday, 9th April to Sunday, 10th April 2016
Free admission, 10.00am to 5.00pm (daily)

Read more