Four-storey over basement, with original blind arcaded shopfront to the ground floor composed of sheer granite piers, moulded arches and a (later) corner enterance. Original, yellow wigged brickwork to the upper floors is covered with 20th century pebbledash, with original aslar granite quoins exposed. The interior features a typical two-room plan with staircase to the side elevation on East Arran Street. Most interior plasterwork and joinery is typical of the early 1840s, with the exception of the staircase which was recycled (likely from the former house).
18 Upper Ormond Quay and its rear attendant house at 67 East Arran Street comprise a pair of intact merchant premises of differing dates. The front house to the river, built in a conservative late Georgian idiom, dates to 1843, whilst the rear house comprises a much older building of c.1760-1770 date. Various sources cite No. 67 as the first home of Catherine McAuley, founder of the Sisters of Mercy.
Brief Description of Project:
The Society granted €6,000 to reinstate the missing array of window sashes to each of the four floors to the rear of No. 18 Ormond Quay as well as repairs to and the reinstatement of shutter boxes.