A house was first built at Enniscoe by the Jackson family in the 1760s and, fifty years later, the family engaged the Waterford architect John Roberts to significantly extend this original building. In 1834 the house was passed to the Pratt family of Co. Cavan, subsequently to a cousin and finally in 1984 to Susan Kellett, a direct descendant of the Jackson family. Since the mid-1980s the house has undergone a large restoration programme, including repairs to the chimneys, downpipes, rendering, and interior plasterwork. To assist these works the Irish Georgian Society awarded a grant of €4,218 in 2002 towards window replacement, and had previously assisted with the restoration of said decorative plasterwork in the stairhall.
Brief description of project:
The decayed windows faced westwards and thus were subject to extreme weather conditions. They had rotted as a result and as they were not salvageable were in need of replacement. Work included replacing the windows in red deal timber to a profile that was copied from a surviving sash window in the centre of the building, and which dated to 1750.
Enniscoe is a two storey country house across five bays and over a basement. The pedimented central doorway possesses Doric columns and pilasters flanked by sidelights. Square headed, timber sash windows of six-over-six configuration feature on both floors and are set into rendered stone walls. The hipped roof surmounts the structure which also contains five bays on each end. The interior is rife with Adamesque decoration, an oval staircase, a glazed dome and Georgian plasterwork depicting sphinxes, urns, and Classical figures.