Mount Ievers Court was built in 1736 by John Rothery for Col Henry Ievers. It is among the earliest and grandest of the tall Irish country houses, though it may have been inspired by Chevening, the family seat of the Earls Stanhope. In the 1980s the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Norman Ievers, began a programme of restoration. A grant was requested from the Irish Georgian Society in 2003 to offset the cost of cleaning and repairing the gutters as well as restoring the sash windows which had been damaged due to water ingress. The Society donated €3,851 between 2003-2004.
Brief description of project:
This grant was used to fund window repairs with appropriate materials, and re-painting. The funding also assisted in erecting scaffolding and in cleaning and repairing all downpipes and flashings. This in turn rendered the building watertight and secured it against further damage.
A magnificent and grand country house, this property continues to serve as the family seat of the Ievers family and as a beautiful example of Irish Georgian architecture.
Mount Ievers Court is a Georgian house of seven bays over three storeys and a raised, rendered basement. The entrance (south) elevation is of red brick while the rear and side facades are of rendered, cut limestone. There are cut stone string courses as well as eaves courses, along with a moulded frieze under the hipped slate roof. The basement windows have segmental arched openings while those of the upper floors are square-headed with timber sash windows and limestone sills. The south entrance possesses timber panelled doors between console brackets and under an entablature. A beautiful set of limestone steps leads to the piano nobile.