24.08.2020, 09:00 A.M.
This talk forms part of Dublin City Council and the Irish Georgian Society's Celebrating Dublin’s Built Heritage, a series of talks to mark National Heritage Week (Saturday 15th to Sunday 23rd August 2020)
The Masonic Female Orphan School Ballsbridge Dublin by Rebecca Hayes
From its foundation in 1792, the Masonic Girls’ School expanded gradually until numbers necessitated the construction of a building on the corner of the Merrion Road and Simmonscourt Road in Ballsbridge. Pupils took up residence in 1882 and girls were educated there until 1972. Some features of the original school have survived, to give the passer-by a hint to its past and material from the archive and library of the Grand Lodge of Freemasons of Ireland reveal more of its history.
Rebecca Hayes works as the Curator and Archivist at Freemasons’ Hall, Dublin. Graduating from University College Dublin with a BA Hons. in Archaeology and Greek and Roman Civilisation, she went on to complete a Diploma in Genealogy, also at UCD. She worked as an archaeologist and at Dalkey Castle and Heritage Centre before taking up her current role in 2002.
Click on the below link to watch the talk, which will be available to view only for the duration of National Heritage Week (Saturday 15th to Sunday 23rd August 2020)