24.08.2020, 09:00 A.M.
This talk forms part of Dublin City Council and the Irish Georgian Society's Celebrating Dublin’s Built Heritage, a series of talks to mark National Heritage Week (Saturday 15th to Sunday 23rd August 2020.
Our Lady of Refuge Church, Rathmines: patron and architect by Dr Brendan Grimes
Our Lady of Refuge was built for the Roman Catholic parish of Rathmines. The first stone was laid in 1850 and the church opened for use in 1856. The building was commissioned by the parish priest Dr William Meagher who had strong ideas on architecture and worked hard to persuade his parishioner to agree to his vision of the new church and to pay for it. He engaged Patrick Byrne to make his vision a reality. The talk gives an account of the evolution of the design and the resulting building, mostly through the writings of Dr Meagher.
Dr Brendan Grimes is an architectural historian and an emeritus research fellow of Technological University Dublin. His publications include Irish Carnegie libraries: A catalogue & architectural history (1998), Majestic shrines and graceful sanctuaries: The church architecture of Patrick Byrne 1783-1864 (2009) and Commodius temples: Roman Catholic church building in nineteenth-century Dublin (2010). He is currently researching the Buildings of Ireland volume for the area of Dublin outside of the Dublin South and North Circular Road and the Royal and Grand Canals.
Click on the below link to watch the talk, which will be available to view only for the duration of National Heritage Week (Saturday 15th to Sunday 23rd August 2020)