Conservation Project Update: O'Brien Column, Liscannor, Co. Clare
Posted by IGS
The O’Brien Column is situated on a prominence overlooking Liscannor Bay, Co. Clare. It was built c. 1858 as a tribute to the achievements of Cornelius O’Brien, a local MP and improving landlord who was also responsible for opening the Cliffs of Moher as a tourist amenity. Standing c. 80 ft. high, the fluted Doric column sits on a substantial square plinth and is topped with a fine urn, all in local limestone.
The IGS provided a grant of €6,000 through its London Chapter to support a project by The Follies Trust and the Friends of the O’Brien Column to stabilise the column and undertake necessary conservation works. This timely intervention revealed that the urn was in imminent danger of collapse and was rocking back and forth. The repair of the urn required its temporary removal and the dismantling and repair of the drum on which it stood. With these works, rusted and corroded iron dowels have been replaced with stainless steel ones inserted and set in resin. Primrose Wilson, chair of The Follies Trust, has assured all that “it was the best long term solution to the problem and ensures the column should last for another 100 years”.