Irish Georgian Society

Show / Hide Menu

Updates

The vision of the Irish Georgian Society is to conserve, protect and foster a keen interest and a respect for Ireland’s architectural heritage and decorative arts. These aims are achieved through its scholarly and conservation education programmes, through its support of conservation projects and planning issues, and vitally, through its members and their activities.

IGS Year of the Country House Garden

14.07.2021

Posted by IGS

From 23rd September to late November, the IGS is hosting two unique exhibitions in the City Assembly House: In Harmony with Nature: The Irish Country House Garden and Stepping Through the Gate: Inside Ireland's Walled Gardens. Click here to learn more.


Annes Grove, County Cork

Alison Rosse (Stepping through the Gate, Inside Ireland's Walled Gardens)

The Grove family came to Annes Grove in 1628, and almost 140 years later the heiress Mary Grove married Francis Annesley (later first Earl Annesley), so that the estate here derives from an elision of the couples surname's. The house was probably built around the time of the marriage, although they lived in County Down so Annes Grove was rented to the Aldworth family; when agronomist Arthur Young visited in 1776, he commented that Mrs Aldworth 'has ornamented a beautiful glen, which winds behind the house, in a manner that does honour her taste.' By the early 19th century; the property was occupied by the Grove Annesley family who continued to live here until recently. Each of them further enhanced a landscape on which Mrs Aldworth had already left her mark, most of all Richard Grove Annesley who lived here for some six decades until his death in 1966. He was responsible for transforming the land behind the house where the river Awbeg widens to create an island; both this, and the grounds on either side are of them sent from expeditions to the Himalayas and elsewhere. The old walled garden to one side of the house was likewise remodelled, with a series of 'rooms' created through the use of tall beech and yew hedges, so that the character of each space retains a clear and different identity. This area is a present benefitting from extensive restoration, since responsibility for Annes Grove has now passed to the Office of Public Works.

Robert O’Byrne

The Irish Georgian Society is most grateful to Susan Burke and her late husband Coley who were the inspiration for and provided generous funding for these exhibitions. We also wish to thank the Apollo Foundation, Northern Trust Corporation, Beth Dater, Sheila O’Malley Fuchs, Hindman Auctions, Kay and the late Fred Krehbiel, Jay & Silvia Krehbiel, Frank Saul, John & Nonie Sullivan, Robert & Gloria Turner, and The Heritage Council.